Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just Popping In...

So I’m really excited to have a blog. But you’d obviously never know that. Since I haven’t done jack with it since I built the damn thing. I am literally stealing a few minutes of my Sunday right now (my very busy, over-run by my To Do List Sunday) to say hello and remind myself that it is possible to have a crazy hectic schedule and maintain a blog.

First off, I believe blogging will become much easier for me once the lap top option re-enters my life. Have I had some free time? Yes. Do I want to spend that free time, which occurs mostly on beautiful summer weekends, chained to a desk top computer in the basement? No. I have a porch on a nice street and deck with an even nicer backyard. I prefer to embrace a pina colada or even a tall glass of water in either one of the areas before I lose precious summer down time to a basement strewn with paper work and never ending laundry. Can you blame me? This is where the lap top fits in. Blogging outside – now that’s something I could get used to. Also, the option to make notes and quick updates while I’m on the go or at work would be lovely.

Right now, all I do is work. And since work is teaching theater from 8:30am – 4pm Mondays – Fridays and telemarketing to sell theater subscriptions 5:30 – 9pm Mondays – Thursdays … I don’t find myself wanting to be or even able to be in front of a computer very often. This is why I’ve been around so little.

Also, I’ve realized how much blogging is about routine. I’ve found a way to make working-out part of my life in a regular and consistent way. Balancing the budget, seeing / speaking with friends, checking email, logging into facebook, taking time for myself ….all of these things require routine and a sense of balance. I’m barely making it on most things I’ve listed above. So it’s not surprising I didn’t fall right into blogging routine. As a person who loves and craves routine, it amazes how happy I am in a mostly hectic and chaotic lifestyle to which there is very little routine at all.

Work has been wonderful. Teaching this summer has been so consuming for me. I never shut-up about the kids I teach. I think I’m actually getting really annoying about it. So annoying that I think I should finally start to consider that fact that teaching is my life’s calling and a masters or associates degree in theater education is very much in my future. But that’s a blog post in-and-of itself. I’ll summarize now by saying – I freakin’ love my job right now.

I’ve had some conversations about how to approach this blog with a few friends and Dan, of course. I’m still working out kinks in how to focus it, what I want to explore, and how to develop the style and technique of writing I think will serve it best. Perhaps, and more than likely, that will come out of process and “routine posting”, since these conversations have yielded little-to-no finite decisions.

Although, I have, since starting the blog, had number of inspirations and thoughts I’d like to begin sharing. All of these will be developed, hopefully, in the future, but here’s what’s on the agenda: understanding the father who hit on me at his 18 year-old daughter’s dance recital, exploring all of my incredibly mixed feelings on the social and cultural implications of the new song by Jeremiah titled “Birthday Sex” (what the hell is that about?), my recent obsession with defining my own womanhood and pontifications on the mysterious menstrual cycle, and why a healthy obsession with cleaning can turn into sheer and utter depression thanks to “going green”.

Ok. I’ve got to pop back out. I’ve veered for far too long from my To List and Sunday always comes to an end much faster than any other day of the week.

TTFN. Ta Ta For Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment